- Meeting starts at 4:34pm. Mulgrew gives reports.
- They want to put supports in place for Delegates and Chapter Leaders. “Empower, Organize, and Engage.”
- Some online system is going live February 3rd for CLs and Delegates to support us.
- There is one big system but all are grouped by districts.
- On Feb 4 BK gets access; Feb 5 Bronx; Feb 6 Queens.
- It will have a searchable knowledge base to find out information about issues within the UFT
- There are going to be “chatrooms” for use. They are Google Groups. There are moderators controlling membership. “If you curse, you will be kicked off” - Mulgrew
- There is a section called “My School” to show information about members at your school (won’t see everything because that is not allowed)
- This is Phase 1. They need feedback for Phase 2.
- Are trying to incorporate a repository of knowledge for the school so that when CLs leave, the knowledge stays.
- There is going to be a letter from CSA Prez, Mulgrew, and Carranza saying that next year there needs to be a curriculum aligned to new standards by next school year.
- Union is going to send out folks to determine what material we currently use in our schools.
- When we do a survey for the plan, next time we choose something from the list it will come for free.
- Related to this: The State DOE said that each district (for NYC - each numbered one is a district) in the state needs a PD team made up majority of UFT members.
- Student debt relief program was the first members-only program.
- UFT is part of two lawsuit against student loan providers.
- Programs is going really well, saving people monthly payments and long term payments.
- We are about to start our second. Identified housing as the second problem.
- They will do various things including “lease review”, looking over elder care and trust creation, etc.
- UFT Legal Plan will offer a reimbursement of some kind from the NYSUT’s legal plan
- Mulgrew was in FL on Mon-Tues to support the teachers down there.
- UFT Retiree chapter is helping the FL teacher unions
- First time ever there was a big rally at Florida state house in Tallahassee
- State news
- $6 billion deficit in the state budget. All of it is tied to healthcare.
- Governor wants to get teachers to do tolerance work in schools.
- Governor want to put more money into community schools. Brought up in relation to homelessness crisis (70% of homeless are parents and their children).
- Every District now has political action teams. They will be going away on how to start doing political activity.
- Census 2020
- We need to get money from the Federal government to pay for our deficits.
- National average of returns is 74.3%. All boroughs of NYC got less than 70%. BK got 56.4%.
- City Council put $40 million into the Census count this year.
- Census starts March 12th.
- Right wing wants to make you think that the data will be used to hurt you. IT CANNOT BE.
- Responses are only used to provide statistics not to do anything negative with them.
- CHANCELLOR SAID THAT ANY SCHOOL THAT WANTS TO BE USED FOR A MEETING CAN BE USED FOR IT.
- Number one group that is not counted: CHILDREN!!!
- For questions: Census@uft.org
- Every elected official for UFT will get a copy of Census powerpoint they made and showed us today.
- We are one week from first term evaluation observations.
- Teacher’s Choice receipts are due. Make sure to submit them or the money gets taken back.
- Women’s March on Saturday, January 18.
- Nurse’s union negotiation is going very nasty. We may need picket lines to help. It is a visiting nurse service.
- Leroy Barr gives announcements
- African Heritage Dinner Dance
- Black History Film Series coming - Feb 13 is film Back to Natural; Feb 27 is College Behind Bars
- Paraprofessional Luncheon is happening on March 14 at NY Hilton
- Lobby Day is March 16. It is also UFT’s founding anniversary. 60th anniversary of the UFT.
- Next DA is February 12
- Questions started at around 5:30pm
- Disciplinary meetings for members. Seems like Legal Teams are in control, no matter what admin does. What are we doing about Legal is in control instead of admin? Answer: Admin often push back and say investigations are not their responsibility. There is nothing in their contract to say they are in charge of them. Once DOE Legal is involved, common sense goes out the window. Mulgrew is bringing up that at consultation with chancellor.
- Can the UFT can assist us sexual harassment training? There is an issue with the link that it says the connection is not safe. Answer: Leroy is going to follow up on the issue.
- Question about ratings. Can we have superintendents supervise principals in how they gather data on teachers in evaluations? Answer: We can ask them for the ADVANCE data.
- Teacher days off for medical/personal use. Principals are asking probing questions. How much information do you have to share? Answer: They are not allowed to ask for this. Mike Sill will send information out about this.
- Principal sending counseling memos for folks who take days off on days before/after holidays. Answer: this is called “bridging.” If there is a pattern, it’s an issue. If not, talk to David from UFT.
- Bronx Plan question. Principal stopped Bronx Plan application despite staff and school getting excited about it. Answer: They weren’t happy with it in the first place because they weren’t consulted first. Make sure the entire school community (parents) know what is going on. Principal and Chapter Leader need to both agree.
I am a math teacher in the New York Department of Education. I infuse technology and real-world problems into my curriculum in order to prepare my students for the future. I would love for people across the country to recognize we teachers can't do it alone. If you don't believe me, come visit my classroom!